Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Week 5 Challenge - Start a "Liquid" Journal

Here we are on week 5 of my 8-Week Challenge.  I hope that you are keeping up with all of your daily challenges.  Have you noticed any changes yet?  Do you feel like these "challenges" are starting to become "habits"?  Hopefully, things are getting easier with each week.  After this week, the challenges will be come much more difficult.  I want' to make sure you are ready to go out on your own!

So, what do I have planned for week 5?  I want you to start thinking about (and tracking) your liquid calories.  I hear clients say "I eat healthy food", "I avoid eating sugar/sweets", "I do a pretty good job with my food intake".  But when I ask them about their "liquid calories", I get a blank stare.  Did you know that according to a research study in the journal Obesity, the average American consumes 50 gallons of soda and sweetened beverages per year?  Did you know that Americans consume about 250–300 more daily calories today than they did several decades ago, nearly half of this increase reflects greater consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages?  Did you know that a child’s risk for obesity increases an average of 60 percent with every additional daily serving of soda?  Did you know that the average soda sold in the United States has more than doubled in size since the 1950s, from 6.5oz to 16.2oz?  Startling, isn't it?  I could go on and on with statistics about sugary drinks but I think you get the picture.

A lot of people tend to "forget" about the calories they are drinking and only focus on the calories they eat.  So here is my challenge to you for the week.  I want you to start writing down what you drink, how much you drink, and when you drink it.  Keep it in your smart phone, write it on your desk calendar, or get a small notebook and jot it down.  At the end of the week I would like you to figure out how many calories you drank this week.  You should be able to look up calorie contents on-line if you purchase a "custom-made" drink from a store/restaurant.  Otherwise check the food label on the bottle/can.  Remember to look at serving sizes too.  If the bottle has 2.5 servings, then you need to multiply 2.5 times the total calorie content listed if you drink the whole thing.  Are you nervous?  Unfortunately some of you should be.

Report back to me at the end of the week and let me know how you did.  You might be surprised at the number of extra calories you drink throughout the day.  By the end of the week you should also be able to notice any patterns in your liquid calorie consumption.  For example, do you crave a soft drink in the afternoon?  Do you always stop at the coffee shop on the way to work and get a fancy, whipped cream topped drink?  Look for patterns and see if there is a way to change/break some of those unhealthy habits.

Remember, I am not saying you cannot have your sugary drink.  Keep in mind, I am a coffee drinker myself and I also enjoy a soft drink every now and then but I know how to do it in moderation.  I take into consideration the calories I drink and adjust my calorie intake and my calorie burn accordingly.  Don't worry....you'll get there.  Just take baby steps.  Don't change any drink habits just yet until you know what your downfall is. 

You can do it!!  Remember, post your comments/thoughts/struggles on our Facebook page or at the end of this post.  I will provide you with as much support as I can give you!! 

Good luck...until next time.........

No comments:

Post a Comment