Need an energy boost? Don't we all!!! Instead of reaching for the energy drink or that shot of caffeine, try some of these tips for a natural approach to boosting your energy.
- Drink lots of water. What?? Don't weigh yourself down with sugar-laden drinks. Good ole' fashion water keeps you hydrated and makes your body more efficient. Dehydration affects every part of your body, including your brain. Fuzzy thinking, low energy, slow metabolism...you name it and it is probably the effect of dehydration.
- Eat nutritiously-dense foods. Pack your plate with fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. Stay away from foods with high fat contents (like fried foods) that will make you feel sluggish and run down.
- Get active...stay active. Physical activity boosts serotonin levels which improve your mood and make you feel better. If you haven't started a regular exercise program, why not start today? Get rid of the excuses and get moving. Our bodies are designed for motion and our muscles thrive on staying strong.
- Reduce the load on your shoulders. Take a load off and start reducing some of the stress in your life. You've heard the phrase (and the books) "Don't sweat the small stuff". Let go of the things you have no control over (i.e., weather and traffic) and focus your energy on things you can change in your life. Learn healthy ways to manage your stress.
- Take a breath of fresh air. Get outside and absorb some sunshine and breathe in the fresh air. Take a break from the indoors and step outside. Take a walk around your office building, grab your four-legged friend and tour the neighborhood, go to the park and climb on a swing...just get outside! A change of scenery may be just what you need to boost your energy and lift your spirits.
- Help your body repair...get some rest. Do you get enough sleep at night? Is it good quality sleep? Your body makes a lot of repairs during sleep and if you aren't getting enough, you won't be functioning at top capacity. Try not to sacrifice sleep to get things done. It will hurt you in the long run. Mental and physical fatigue will set in and will make it very difficult to perform simple, daily tasks. Get your rest.
Seems pretty easy, huh? You bet! So the next time you need that little pick-me-up, put down the can of so-called energy and try one of these healthy-alternatives to boosting your energy. Obviously, the trainers and staff here at PROMATx Health Club can help you with tip #3 but you have to make the first move. If you aren't here, we can't help you. Stop in today and let us teach you how to get that natural "high"!!