Monday, November 21, 2011

Exercise and Pregnancy...A Little Motivational Note

Today's blog is brought to you from one of our trainers, Carol Brown.  In addition to being a member of the PROMATx team, Carol has 3 beautiful daughters and is expecting another child early next year.  

Pregnancy is exciting, challenging, an emotional rollercoaster… I can sit here all day and find many adjectives for one of the most exciting experiences that a woman’s body goes through in life.

With all the challenges of being pregnant, one thing women think of the least is exercising while going through those challenges.  Medical professionals have become more and more aware of the benefits of exercising during pregnancy and more women are taking advantage of that knowledge.

The most common problems we encounter that keep us from exercising during pregnancy are sickness, the lack of energy and lack of motivation.  I’ve had 3 kids and am pregnant with my 4th.  My goal in writing this is to motivate those who are expecting, planning to be pregnant or just delivered to take this journey with an open mind on your expectations of fitness and all the obstacles you will encounter.  Exercising will be less challenging and more beneficial if you keep the expectations low but the habit of exercising constant.

The best approach I encounter is to make sure I move my body a little every day, even if very slow!  Not expecting to perform a certain amount every day, but instead, listening to my body gives me the liberty to not feel guilty if I don’t do much that day.  It also gives me the benefit of feeling good for doing something at all, even if I’m nauseated, stressed, depressed or just plain exhausted!  So keeping my eye on the prize (my precious children) and my body in moving gear gives me that little extra energy to be a better mom, wife, and a better me for making time to keep my body and mind healthy.

"For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved." (Romans 10:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment